Everyone wants to improve their memory with supplements, whether it's to remember information for an exam, or because you want to know where you always leave your keys. There are therefore hundreds of different tips and tricks that can help you improve your memory. However, those tips are not the only way to do that, because you can also use supplements to improve your memory and support your cognitive functions.
In this article, we look at how you can improve your memory with supplements and we give you some extra tips.
Improving Memory With Supplements: Which Are Effective?
Several resources can be successful in improving memory with supplements.
1. Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is one of the B vitamins that helps improve your memory. Nowadays a deficiency of this substance is quite common. This is because we mainly need to get this vitamin from animal products or processed products, such as breakfast cereals or plant-based milk. In addition, people with intestinal complaints are prone to a B12 deficiency. Taking a vitamin B12 supplement can help improve your memory.
2. Improve Memory With Supplements: Vitamin E
Vitamin E functions as an antioxidant, protecting your body from damage. From research has shown that this vitamin is also able to help people with Alzheimer's too. They experienced fewer symptoms and had fewer memory complaints. You can get vitamin E from nuts, oils, and green vegetables. Note, however, that too high a dose of vitamin E can lead to unpleasant side effects in people with cardiovascular disease. Therefore, only take a vitamin E supplement after consulting your doctor.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids
Also, omega-3 fatty acids can counteract symptoms of Alzheimer's. The substances docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in particular have significant effects on this. You mainly get these substances from fish and other seafood. You can also use fish oil, plankton powder, and krill to get these fatty acids.
4. Ginkgo Biloba
The Ginkgo Biloba is a tree that has been used in Asian herbal medicine for centuries. This substance is said to be very effective in improving memory, but there is not enough scientific evidence for this to date. However, this substance can help widen the small blood vessels in your body, so that more oxygen reaches your brain. Because your brain then receives more oxygen, it has more possibilities to function better.
Improve your memory tips
- Do relaxation exercises. Meditation and other relaxation exercises help your brain to relax and to give all thoughts a place. Especially when you do this before going to sleep, this ensures that you can process and remember information more easily.
- Get enough sleep. Because your brain processes most of the information during your sleep, it is important to get enough sleep. An adult person needs between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night.
- Drink less alcohol. Although it is very tasty, alcohol can have bad effects on your memory. It damages your brain cells. A glass of wine or beer now and then won't hurt, but try to limit your alcohol intake.
- Train your brain. Like any other muscle in your body, your brain gets stronger the more you train it. So do a tricky puzzle, or use an app to learn another language. It doesn't have to be boring, you can playfully improve your memory!
- Move more. Sport and exercise stimulate the production of neuroprotective proteins. These are proteins that protect nerve cells. In addition, sport also ensures the growth and production of new nerve cells.
- Do fun things with friends and family. Humans are social creatures and therefore need social interaction to stay happy. How much that varies from person to person. Spending time with your friends and having fun instantly boosts your brain without even realizing it!